Maintenance and Bugfix Releases¶
Once a feature release branch has been cut from
develop, the branch moves
into a "feature freeze" state. The new release branch enters the
chain and only bugfixes should be applied against the new branch. Once major bugs
have been fixed, a bugfix release can be cut:
- Ensure all required bug fixes are merged.
- Inform salt-users and salt-announce we are going to branch for the release.
- Complete one last merge forward from the previous branch.
- Create release branch with the version of the release. (ex. 2019.2.1)
- Create jenkins jobs that test the new release branch.
- Fix tests failing in jeknins test runs.
- Run through a manual test run based off of the head of the branch.
- Generate the new man pages for the release.
- Create internal tag for testing.(ex v2019.2.1)
- Build all release packages.
- Run manual and package tests against new packages.
- Update installation instructions with new release number at repo.saltstack.com.
- Update and build docs to include new version. (ex. 2019.2.1)
- Pre-announce on salt-users google groups that we are about to update our repo.
- Push the internal tag live to salt's repo.
- Publish release archive to pypi based off tag.
- Push the packages live.
- Publish release (v2019.2.1) archive to pypi based off tag.
- Publish all packages live to repo.
- Publish the docs.
- Create release at github
- Update win-repo-ng with new salt versions.
- Announce release is live to irc, salt-users, salt-announce and release slack channel.